Maybe you grew up with the Guvernment, maybe you’re a Toronto native who frequents the mega-club’s notorious Saturday night parties – or maybe you simply can’t stand the whole rave-scene and will be happy to see the nightclub close it’s doors for good. Whatever side of the fence you stand on, the Guvernment has become a monument in our city and as Toronto’s longest standing nightlife venue, we applaud them for having created and sustained the ultimate Toronto nightclub experience.
For the past 18 years The Guvernment has been an authority on the pulse of cool, combining a traditional concert venue with dusk-to-dawn parties and having hosted legendary EDM artists by the likes of Deadmau5, Tiesto, Avicii and more. With just 11 short days until they close their doors, here are 20 things that the Guvernment has taught us about nightlife in Toronto:
1. It is actually possible for a club to flourish in this city for more than a couple of years.
2. You don’t have to be an internationally recognized DJ to inspire the masses.
3. A rave club and concert venue can exist in perfect unison.
4. It’s perfectly acceptable to wear a bathing suite to an EDM show.
5. Saturday nights begin at dusk and end at dawn. Always.
6. Water is expensive. Like really expensive.
7. We all crave a good dance party once in a while.
8. There is a time and place for a suit and tie. It’s called the office.
9. Fog, glowsticks and LED lights are always a good idea.
10. There are certain places that people actually enjoy rubbing shoulders with sweaty strangers.
11. Fur boots and cat costumes are a perfectly acceptable Saturday night outfit.
12. You can visit one nightclub but experience a realm of different rooms, themes, vibes and people.
13. Skybar may just have the most incredible view of our city’s skyline and harbour.
14. A nightclub really can be considered your second home.
15. Raving still constitutes as exercise. Ask around.
16. Glow parties are the best kind of parties.
17. From Deadmau5 to Tiesto, it is possible for a local venue to feature nearly every EDM superstar worth mentioning.
18. Mega-clubs will always hold a place in our hearts.
The official #GuvFinale is set to take place on January 25th and will feature none other than Deadmau5 on the decks. After 18 legendary years, The Guvernment refuses to leave quietly. Here’s a taste of what you can expect at their closing party: